Does fibromyalgia cause insomnia or does insomnia cause fibromyalgia? I do not have a definitive answer.
I do know that insomnia took hold of my life for seven years, letting go of its grip in small bursts, but now limiting itself (thankfully) to occasional very short bouts.
My Top 10 Tips for Healing Insomnia are:
- Limit caffeine, sugar and alcohol in your diet,
- Avoid exercising in the evening,
- Avoid watching television right before bedtime, especially the news!
- Keep to a regular bedtime,
- Epsom salt baths are magnesium rich and aid restful sleep. Magnesium supplements also help,
- Keep you bedroom free of clutter, including books, excess furniture, clothes lying on the floor…
- Keep electronic equipment out of the bedroom – no televisions, computers, mobile phones…
- Decorate your bedroom in restful colours – if in doubt use pastels,
- Invest in a good quality bed, use hypoallergenic bedding, washed in environmentally friendly products,
- Keep a journal by your bed side and write down anything that worries you or things you want to remember,
- Give thanks for all the good things that happened in your day – no matter how small they might seem.
If life is not going so well for me, I remind myself that:
“This too shall pass.”
Natural Medicines have aided me enormously, including Acupuncture, Herbal Medicine, Creative Visualisation, Reflexology, Dr Bach Flower Essences, Emotional Freedom Technique…
Brigid P. Gallagher
Memoir: “Watching the Daisies – Life Lessons on the Importance of Slow” is available from Amazon and all good online book stores.
Book Trailer: https://youtu.be/r5GCjaetgZk