Celebrating One Year as a Self Published Author
I celebrated one year as a self published author yesterday. My inspirational self help and travel memoir “Watching the Daisies – Life Lessons on the Importance of Slow” was uploaded to Amazon Kindle on 14th November 2016.
It was the beginning of a new learning curve.
Despite studying the self publishing do’s and don’ts in depth, and planning a “To Do List” the reality is that LIFE often takes us on a different route!
In the lead up to my launch two family members were very ill, and we lost one of them on 31st October. Thankfully, the other is well on the road to recovery. I was checking the e- book formatting at the time, and the chapter spacing on the final proof was not quite up to scratch. It has since been amended.
The book generated some good reviews over the following months, which I was able to include on the inside cover of the hard copy. On 12 April 2017 it was made available through Amazon.
I researched the best route to other online retailers and Ingram Spark now distribute my book to all the major online book stores.
Unfortunately, my sister was diagnosed with cancer that same month, and I succumbed to shingles.
Sadly, my sister passed away on 1st September, and the promotional activities I had scheduled took a back seat, while I dealt with my grief. Hopefully, they will go ahead from next spring.
I am so thankful to everyone who has supported me on this journey:
- My friends in Rosses Writers who encouraged me to write a book
- Sue Leonard who gave me constructive criticism on my synopsis and first chapters
- The publishing agents who rejected my work
- Catherine Ryan Howard and Books Go Social who inspired me to self publish
- Olive O’Brien who provided both a structural and final edit
- Brenda Tobin for her legal advice and edit
- Orla Kelly Publishing who formatted my print book, updated my e-book and gifted me with a book trailer…
- Rob Williams for my beautiful book cover
- My blogging and social media friends for your support and encouragement
- Everyone who has purchased “Watching the Daisies”
A very special thank you goes to those who have reviewed my book. It means such a lot. I recently celebrated having 25 good reviews on Amazon.
On Friday, I will be announcing a GIVEAWAY and a special e-book promotion for November.
Next Wednesday, I will share my top tips for FREE marketing resources.
Brigid P. Gallagher
Book Trailer: https://youtu.be/r5GCjaetgZk
Categories: Self Publishing and Marketing