Triple Layer Pavlova Recipe
In 2015, my pavlova style changed forever after witnessing Welsh actor Michael Sheen’s winning triple layer pavlova on “Great British Comic Relief Bake Off. ” Michael used passion fruit and lemon curd for his filling – a beautiful combination.
The following is my version – perfect for a Christmas dessert.
Preheat oven to 150 C/ 140 for fan assisted oven.
Prepare 3 sheets of baking parchment, and draw 3 circles around tea plates of different sizes. Place parchment on baking trays.
6 large eggs,
12 ounces of castor sugar,
Dessert spoon of cornflour,
Dessert spoon of white wine vinegar,
1/2 pint of whipping or double cream (I use non dairy)
Fruit of your choice for filling and embellishment – passion fruit and lemon curd, raspberry and blueberry, mango and raspberry, strawberry…
- Separate egg whites and add to a clean bowl – any fatty residues will prevent the whites from whipping,
- Whisk whites with an electric whisk until they make stiff peaks. You can turn the bowl upside down, and if the egg remains in the bowl you have the perfect consistency,
- Add the castor sugar slowly while still whisking,
- Add cornflour and vinegar while still whisking,
- Scoop out meringue mixture and place on the three circles of baking parchment, Spread around to the edge of each circle. Create a nest like dent in each meringue,
- Put the trays of meringue into the preheated oven,
- Allow approximately one hour to cook. They should have a nice crisp shell and a pale exterior:
Switch the oven off and leave the meringues inside to cool – this prevents cracking of the outer shell.
- Layer your meringues with whipped cream and fruit,
- Add remaining cream and fruit to top and sides.
I gave the tops a little bash in the centre with a spoon, to create more of a nest for my cream and fruit. I could of course have created a well in the centre before it entered the oven, but I forgot!
The egg yolks from this recipe are perfect for creating another delicious dessert – Creme Brulee.
Brigid P. Gallagher is a retired natural medicines therapist, passionate organic gardener and author of “Watching the Daisies- Life lessons on the Importance of Slow,” a holistic memoir dedicated to the art of mindfulness and healing from debilitating illness.
She lives in Donegal, Ireland – an area of outstanding natural beauty.
Book Trailer: https://youtu.be/r5GCjaetgZk