Clootie Dumpling Recipe
- Add all dry ingredients to a large baking bowl,
- Add beaten eggs and mix gently,
- Melt coconut oil slowly in a saucepan, then add treacle and a couple of tablespoons of milk,
- Add melted ingredients to bowl,
- Add extra milk if needed.
Preparing the Cloot
- Cut an old but clean pillowcase along two sides,
- Spread it out, and dust with a thin layer of flour,
- Tip out your dumpling mixture, tie with string, allowing a a little room for expansion,
- Fill a large, thick bottomed saucepan half ways with boiling water,
- Place a heat proof plate in the bottom of the saucepan to prevent your cloot from burning,
- Place cloot into pot, and adjust top to prevent it touching cooker surface.
- Lift cloot from pot and place on a large plate for 5 minutes to cool,
- Gently peel cloot away from the top half of dumpling,
- Tip upside down onto another large plate to complete the process.
Brigid P. Gallagher is a retired natural medicines therapist, passionate organic gardener and author of “Watching the Daisies- Life lessons on the Importance of Slow,” a holistic memoir dedicated to the art of mindfulness and healing from debilitating illness.
She lives in Donegal, Ireland – an area of outstanding natural beauty.
Book Trailer: https://youtu.be/r5GCjaetgZk