Seafood Chowder Recipe
Seafood chowder is a comforting dish, especially good on cold winter nights. It is also easy and quick to prepare. Perfect for the holiday season.
500g fresh white fish – I used haddock
500g fresh salmon fillets
200g cooked jumbo prawns – I used frozen
1 litre milk or unsweetened soya or almond milk
3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
4 chopped spring onions
A large bunch of chopped Dill
2 heaped tablespoons cornflour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add milk to pan and add chopped spring onions and potato cubes
- Simmer gently until potato is just soft
- Mix cornflour with a little water until smooth
- Add cornflour mix to milk, and stir until it starts to thicken
- Add white fish, salmon and prawns
- When fish becomes opaque add Dill
- Serve and eat immediately.
The ingredients can also be adapted and made into fish pie:
- Simply boil the potatoes separately ( You will probably need around 6 large potatoes)
- Mash with butter, warm milk and salt and pepper to season
- Place cooked fish mix in a warm heat proof dish
- Top with mashed potato
- Brown under a hot grill
- Serve with peas, salad…
Brigid P. Gallagher is a retired natural medicines therapist, passionate organic gardener and author of “Watching the Daisies- Life lessons on the Importance of Slow,” a holistic memoir dedicated to the art of mindfulness and healing from debilitating illness.
She lives in Donegal, Ireland – an area of outstanding natural beauty.
Book Trailer: https://youtu.be/r5GCjaetgZk